ASTM D3163: Lap-Shear Testing of Bonded Rigid Plastics
Written by Meredith Bernstein
Materials Testing System
System capacity will depend on the strength of the adhesive, however most tests to this standard will fall in the capacity range between 1 kN and 5 kN, making this application perfect for a single column frame (34SC or 68SC). If the adhesive requires a higher capacity system, Instron’s dual column table model frames are available up to 50 kN.
ASTM D3163 Test Setup
1. Instron 68SC-1
2. Bluehill Universal Dashboard (2490-696)
3. 2580 Series Load Cell (2580-1kN)
4. 1 kN Screw Side-Action Grips (2710-113)
Both pneumatic side-action grips and advanced screw side-action grips are excellent fixture choices for this standard. Both types of grips are adjustable in order to offset the jaw faces and ensure that the lap joint remains centered in the grips, and both feature quick-change jaw faces that can be easily changed to accommodate different materials.
Standard At A Glance
- Adhesives, Plastics
- ASTM D3163
Bluehill Universal is provided with one free application module upon purchase. Each module contains pre-configured test methods and supporting documentation to assist with testing to various standards, including ASTM D3163 which is part of the Adhesives module.
Tips and Tricks
- It is critical when testing lap joints that the centerline of the grips be directly aligned with the plane of the adhesive bond. This ensures a true shear force application to the adhesive. Offset jaw faces are necessary to achieve this test setup.
- The standard requires reporting the breaking force or strength, however it’s important to remember that the shear strength is calculated by dividing the breaking force by the adhesive bond area.
Instron 6800 Series Universal Testing Systems provide unparalleled accuracy and reliability. Built on a patent-pending Operator Protect system architecture with an all-new Smart-Close Air Kit and Collision Mitigation features, the 6800 Series makes materials testing simpler, smarter, and safer than ever before.
Bluehill Universal Software is built from the ground-up for touch interaction and an intuitive user experience. Discover simpler and smarter testing with features such as pre-loaded test methods, QuickTest in seconds, enhanced data exporting: and Instron Connect – a new feature that provides a direct communication link to Service. Users of previous versions of software such as Bluehill 2 and Bluehill 3 can easily upgrade to the newest version of Bluehill.