ASTM D1621 Compressive Properties Rigid Cellular Plastics
Standard At A Glance
- ASTM D1621
ASTM D1621 outlines the testing procedure for determining the compressive properties of rigid cellular materials, particularly expanded plastics. Rigid cellular, or foamed, plastics are manufactured in different forms for a variety of construction-related applications. Properties common to cellular plastic include thermal insulation (heat loss or fire protection), sound absorption, high strength-to-weight ratio, and earthquake resistance. The properties possessed by any given cellular plastic are a product of its resin, its cellular structure (open vs. closed), and its density. Material properties reported during ASTM D1621 testing include compression strength, strain at compressive strength, yield points, and if requested, compressive modulus.
ASTM D1621 Test Setup
|1)||3400 Series Universal Testing System
|2)||Bluehill Universal Software
|3)||2530 Series Load Cell
|4)||2501 Series Compression Platens
Platens and Accessories
The preferred specimen dimensions for ASTM D1621 testing are a square or circular cross-sectional area between 4 and 36 square inches and a height between 1 inch and the specimen’s width (or diameter). Note the dimensional differences between a D1621 and D695 specimen, which are both ATSM compression test standards for plastic materials. Compression platens with integral spherical seats are ideal for ensuring platen to platen parallelism, which is a requirement of the standard. Depending on your application, the following are commonly used for ASTM D1621 testing:
- Upper compression platen with integral spherical seat (diameters vary from 2 to 8”)
- Lower rigid platen of matching size
- 2601-04X series LVDT (depending on required displacement)
- LVDT mount for platens (2601-071)
ASTM D1621 Accessories
|1)||Self-Aligning Spherical Seat
|2)||2601-04x Series LVDT
Helpful Tips and Tricks
- Compression platens with integral spherical seats are ideal for ensuring platen to platen parallelism, which is a requirement of the standard. The self-aligning nature of this fixture will maximize the contact area between the platen and the specimen.
- When measuring compressive displacement, ASTM D1621-16 allows for measurement using direct compression platen displacement or via crosshead extension by eliminating the effects of system compliance. If direct strain measurement is used, a displacement transducer is required to measure the distance between the upper and lower platen. The transducer must also be verified in conformance with ASTM E83 Class C or better. Instron's 2601-04x series LVDTs can mount directly on the 2501 series compression platens and are designed to measure displacement directly from the platens. To measure displacement via crosshead extension, Bluehill Universal testing software can do an automatic compliance correction to eliminate system compliance from the test curve. Please review the compliance correction whitepaper for more details.
- If reporting the modulus calculation, make sure the extensometer and load cell are both verified in the range that the calculation is being made. Labs sometimes unknowingly report calculations outside of the verified range of their devices.
- It is important to review ASTM D1621-16 in order to fully understand the test setup, procedure, and results requirements.
Instron 6800 Series Universal Testing Systems provide unparalleled accuracy and reliability. Built on a patent-pending Operator Protect system architecture with an all-new Smart-Close Air Kit and Collision Mitigation features, the 6800 Series makes materials testing simpler, smarter, and safer than ever before.
Bluehill Universal Software is built from the ground-up for touch interaction and an intuitive user experience. Discover simpler and smarter testing with features such as pre-loaded test methods, QuickTest in seconds, enhanced data exporting: and Instron Connect – a new feature that provides a direct communication link to Service. Users of previous versions of software such as Bluehill 2 and Bluehill 3 can easily upgrade to the newest version of Bluehill.
These easy-to-install compression platens are precisely machined fixtures that are designed for even distribution of compression loads during a test. The compression load string comprising an upper platen with integral spherical seat and lower rigid platen is attached to the loading axis of the universal testing machine.