Why Do I Need To Verify Speed And Displacement?
You should calibrate your machine’s displacement measuring system if any of the following apply to you:
- Displacement is critical to your testing needs and is reported in the test results.
- Use of an extensometer is impractical or impossible, and using crosshead displacement is an acceptable alternative.
- Crosshead or actuator displacement is used to characterize the displacement of a specimen or component.
- LVDTs commonly found in servohydraulic systems are often not linear throughout their range.
If any of the following apply to you, then verifying the speed-accuracy of your system is highly recommended:
- The material or component under test is strain rate or speed-sensitive.
- You are required to report test speed with your results.
- Your test method calls for a specific speed.
- Even if speed or displacement are not critical parameters, it is a good testing practice to ensure that the speed is constant, stable, and repeatable.